No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Childcare costs

Hi
    So im unable to.work due to health my partner gets the care element.
    Hes been made redundant, but for now is staying home to help me.
    My daughter is 3 in July. so fro. September will be going to pre school, seems we are t eligible for the 30 hours but we will get the 15 hours. We UC be able to pay the 85% towards an extra 15 hours a week that we would pay ? or will they not as my husband is not in payed employment?

Originally posted by Amy0187 View Post
    Hi
    So im unable to.work due to health my partner gets the care element.
    Hes been made redundant, but for now is staying home to help me.
    My daughter is 3 in July. so fro. September will be going to pre school, seems we are t eligible for the 30 hours but we will get the 15 hours. We UC be able to pay the 85% towards an extra 15 hours a week that we would pay ? or will they not as my husband is not in payed employment?
    Hi Amy

Unfortunately for childcare on UC, one of you needs to be working.

But you can still do your 15 hours free. Do you have funded childcare for her being two?

Comment

Hi report self-employment as I have a very small craft buiness. so I would be classed as working?

Comment

Hi report self-employment as I have a very small craft buiness. so I would be classed as working?
        The childcare costs you claim would need to be for the purpose of you working and your partner being unable to provide the childcare because they are providing care to you.

They don't ask every person what hours they specifically work as standard but they can decide to ask further questions if deciding the childcare costs are reasonable.

Comment

oh ok, he's hopfully registering as self employed soon, so would it count then?

Comment

oh ok, he's hopfully registering as self employed soon, so would it count then?
            Do you have LCW or LCWRA awarded? If so then if the costs are for him to work and you are unable to provide the childcare then yes you can be eligible for childcare costs.
            If you do not have LCW or LCWRA awarded then you would not be eligible and should consider work capability route - https://www.uceplus.co.uk/work-capability

The following is from UC guidance
            Childcare costs – reasonable usage

For Universal Credit, reasonable usage means considering whether the amount of costs a claimant pays to their childcare provider is generally reasonable, when balanced against the amount of earnings a claimant receives or hours worked.

If the level of childcare costs seem high when compared to the earnings received, or hours worked, consideration must be given to whether all of the

costs should be included, for example - if childcare costs exceed the claimant’s earnings or the claimant is paying childcare for more hours than they work. Some childcare costs which appear too high could be treated as reasonable. These include, but are not limited to:
            • disabled childcare costs
            • a childcare purchasing pattern
            • parents who are not actually in work but are treated as such for Universal Credit, for example being on maternity leave

What makes childcare costs excessive is not defined and all circumstances must be taken in to account when deciding if costs are excessive or not.

If the childcare costs are deemed excessive, the case must be referred to a decision maker. An amount of reasonable expected childcare costs will be applied.
            UC don't actually ask people specifically what hours people work. There will be people out there that are claiming childcare when they are not at work at all and have no reason to be claiming childcare for work purposes.

But if UC decide to ask further questions then they can disallow or lower entitlement.

Comment

yes I have LWCRA. the Craft buiness is just to give me somthing to do when I feel.able.to.
              OK thank you thats good to know x

Comment

A wee craft business sounds like a brilliant thing to he doing.

Yep so because you have LCWRA and he has carers, you can claim childcare costs as long as its for the reason of either of you working.

Comment

Working...
                X