No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Joint claim with ex DV

Hi all
    I would like some advice on my current situation if anyone could help please?

I have a joint claim with my now ex boyfriend. There has been emotional and psychological abuse which has resulted in my poor mental health. He works full time, I am not working right now. We have a young child together and we are all still living in the private rented flat which he pays for. The tenancy ends in September and I would like to move out with my son by then.
    I have applied for social housing but the wait list is extremely long.
    How do I change my joint UC to a single UC claim whilst I am still living here? I hope to rent privately once I’ve got my single UC.
    FYI I also claim enhanced PIP daily living element, the mobility part is used on the car but my ex won’t give up the car until I can pay toward the rent.

sorry it’s so long, I feel very trapped and just need some advice on my situation please.
    Thank you

Originally posted by Marieser28 View Post
    Hi all
    I would like some advice on my current situation if anyone could help please?

I have a joint claim with my now ex boyfriend. There has been emotional and psychological abuse which has resulted in my poor mental health. He works full time, I am not working right now. We have a young child together and we are all still living in the private rented flat which he pays for. The tenancy ends in September and I would like to move out with my son by then.
    I have applied for social housing but the wait list is extremely long.
    How do I change my joint UC to a single UC claim whilst I am still living here? I hope to rent privately once I’ve got my single UC.
    FYI I also claim enhanced PIP daily living element, the mobility part is used on the car but my ex won’t give up the car until I can pay toward the rent.

sorry it’s so long, I feel very trapped and just need some advice on my situation please.
    Thank you
    This sounds a very difficult situation. You can remove him from your claim and this will change your claim to single. If you have a joint tenancy you will be eligible for half the rent from UC.
    Is the car through Motability. If so he has no right to the car and you could speak to motability about this.

Have you considered speaking to womens aid or refuge. Both organisations can help you leave this relationship Refuge Against Domestic Violence - Help for women & children.

Comment

Originally posted by Kay Jackson View Post

This sounds a very difficult situation. You can remove him from your claim and this will change your claim to single. If you have a joint tenancy you will be eligible for half the rent from UC.
      Is the car through Motability. If so he has no right to the car and you could speak to motability about this.

Have you considered speaking to womens aid or refuge. Both organisations can help you leave this relationship Refuge Against Domestic Violence - Help for women & children.
      Thank you for your reply and advice. What do I tell UC to remove him from the claim?

yes it’s motorbility car, he doesn’t take me or my son anywhere in it anymore. His argument is that I am not paying for anything so he’s going to keep the car from me until I can pay. I’m not sure what I can do about the car as I still have a year left on the lease.

Comment

Thank you for your reply and advice. What do I tell UC to remove him from the claim?

yes it’s motorbility car, he doesn’t take me or my son anywhere in it anymore. His argument is that I am not paying for anything so he’s going to keep the car from me until I can pay. I’m not sure what I can do about the car as I still have a year left on the lease.
        This car is yours and whether you are contributing to other bills or not is immaterial. He should not be using the car for himself. Have you considered moving out now. The car would then move with you as he would not be allowed to keep it at his address if you had another one.

To remove him from the claim you would do report a change, living with a partner, and remove him there. This would change your claim to single.

I really would urge you to get some advice from Womens Aid or Refuge. Him keeping your car is a form of abuse.

Comment

Originally posted by Kay Jackson View Post

This car is yours and whether you are contributing to other bills or not is immaterial. He should not be using the car for himself. Have you considered moving out now. The car would then move with you as he would not be allowed to keep it at his address if you had another one.

To remove him from the claim you would do report a change, living with a partner, and remove him there. This would change your claim to single.

I really would urge you to get some advice from Womens Aid or Refuge. Him keeping your car is a form of abuse.

thank you. Yes I will get some advice from women’s aid.
          When I go to change circumstances on my journal it asks me to add the date he moved out but as he hasn’t removed out yet I don’t have one. What do I do about that?

Comment

Hi Marieser28

Kay has had to go offline and asked me to keep an eye out for you.

By this question, they mean at what point did the other person stop being your partner or when you separated.

If you put in today's date then it means the payments going forward will be single payments.

Is it a joint tenancy agreement you have?

Women's Aid may be able to assist you with housing quicker than the council.

Comment

Originally posted by Jo Black View Post
              Hi Marieser28

Kay has had to go offline and asked me to keep an eye out for you.

By this question, they mean at what point did the other person stop being your partner or when you separated.

If you put in today's date then it means the payments going forward will be single payments.

Is it a joint tenancy agreement you have?

Women's Aid may be able to assist you with housing quicker than the council.
              -
              okay thank you both.

Yes it’s a joint tenancy agreement. Is there a way they will keep my claim private?
              I wouldn’t want him to see or have any control of what I’m doing or claiming now.
              He’s receiving a career element but he doesn’t support me anymore with task I need help with.

Also we receive the child element, will that be awarded to me or him?

thank you

Comment

-
                okay thank you both.

Yes it’s a joint tenancy agreement. Is there a way they will keep my claim private?
                I wouldn’t want him to see or have any control of what I’m doing or claiming now.
                He’s receiving a career element but he doesn’t support me anymore with task I need help with.

Also we receive the child element, will that be awarded to me or him?

thank you
                When you change the claim to single, he will receive an email saying there has been an important change on his account and he should log in to confirm and at that point he will know that you've changed it.

If you feel like that will worsen the situation then you should definitely speak to Women's Aid first. They have an email and text service I believe, if phoning isn't possible for you.

Whoever has main responsibility to the child should have the child on the claim. So that would be who mostly deals with school, GP appointments and who cares for the child when sick.

Once your claim is single, he will not be able to login unless he knows your login details. These can be changed.

Comment

Originally posted by Jo Black View Post

When you change the claim to single, he will receive an email saying there has been an important change on his account and he should log in to confirm and at that point he will know that you've changed it.

If you feel like that will worsen the situation then you should definitely speak to Women's Aid first. They have an email and text service I believe, if phoning isn't possible for you.

Whoever has main responsibility to the child should have the child on the claim. So that would be who mostly deals with school, GP appointments and who cares for the child when sick.

Once your claim is single, he will not be able to login unless he knows your login details. These can be changed.
                  Thank you for the information. I’ve cha he’s it online now. Do I need to leave a note in the journal to explain what is going on?

Comment

Thank you for the information. I’ve cha he’s it online now. Do I need to leave a note in the journal to explain what is going on?
                    No there is no need. Did you add details of your rent?

It would have asked who lived with you and you don't put his name down because he is a joint tenant. If you did put him down by mistake, I can show you how to fix it.

You may be entitled to a new claim advance to see you through to paymemt date now. You need to call for that though

Comment

Working...
                    X