Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Welsh government learning grant

Hi my partner and I both study, he's in a brick uni and has just finished for the summer and I'm with the open university. My first year will finish 9th September 2021.

My partner has been left unemployed and were looking at claiming but last time they took his whole welsh government learning grant into account saying only £1000 was grant. (how I don't know as all were told on the letter is that it's wglg.) anyway, I'm doing 120 credits but it's still classed as part time for student finance as its a distance learning course so I get £933.75 loan and £4500 welsh government learning grant. How do we calculate what they will take off? And is there any way to appeal? If feels like we're barely hanging on and can't get help anywhere because I work as well.

Thank you for any advice you can offer. X

Originally posted by Welshmum View Post
    Hi my partner and I both study, he's in a brick uni and has just finished for the summer and I'm with the open university. My first year will finish 9th September 2021.

My partner has been left unemployed and were looking at claiming but last time they took his whole welsh government learning grant into account saying only £1000 was grant. (how I don't know as all were told on the letter is that it's wglg.) anyway, I'm doing 120 credits but it's still classed as part time for student finance as its a distance learning course so I get £933.75 loan and £4500 welsh government learning grant. How do we calculate what they will take off? And is there any way to appeal? If feels like we're barely hanging on and can't get help anywhere because I work as well.

Thank you for any advice you can offer. X
    Hi Welshmum

We have quite a few students at tribunal just now about the exact same issue from 2020/202020

When does your course start?

Comment

My course started 5.10.2020 and will end on the 9.9.21. So when they calculate it do I ask for mandatory reconsideration? Or should I wait until these outcomes in court?

With me being part time my finance is calculated with my course intensity being 75% or more so I imagine the £1000 deduction for full time students will be less for me but I can't find any info where on what this could be as it's all grouped together on the finance.
      ​​​​

Comment

My course started 5.10.2020 and will end on the 9.9.21. So when they calculate it do I ask for mandatory reconsideration? Or should I wait until these outcomes in court?

With me being part time my finance is calculated with my course intensity being 75% or more so I imagine the £1000 deduction for full time students will be less for me but I can't find any info where on what this could be as it's all grouped together on the finance.
        ​​​​

Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20210611-203746_Chrome.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	59.8 KB
ID:	1700

For you it will probably be 6245 x 0.75 = £4683.75 that they try and use.

You could request mandatory reconsideration once they produce the figures and probably once that is done we will know the outcomes of these various tribunals.

Some people have won already, some have lost already. Nothing seems to be consistent but we have two pending right now that the tribunal seem to be really wanting to look at it properly.

Comment

I hope this isnt rude, but by promising does that mean they may look at changing the policy? I'll put my claim in and see what they say, will the info from the tribunals be put up on here? Sorry for all the questions and thank you so much for your help.

Comment

I hope this isnt rude, but by promising does that mean they may look at changing the policy? I'll put my claim in and see what they say, will the info from the tribunals be put up on here? Sorry for all the questions and thank you so much for your help.
            A (first tier) tribunal cannot change internal policy. They can only make decisions on the case in front of them.

The tribunal decisions obviously are the personal data belonging to these UC students so it would be up to them if they want to share the paperwork.

We know the approach that has been used and we will know the outcome.

So once we know, we will be in a better position to say whether it's worth fighting all the way and could explain the same method to you.

Comment

That would be amazing thank you I'll update here once I've had my calculation done, I've never had to do a mandatory reconsideration before so not sure where to start with it, would I just explain that on my student finance it has £4500 as welsh government learning grant so it should be disregarded? Sorry if I sound daft I'm just not sure what they would be looking for. Thank you so much for your help

Comment

That would be amazing thank you I'll update here once I've had my calculation done, I've never had to do a mandatory reconsideration before so not sure where to start with it, would I just explain that on my student finance it has £4500 as welsh government learning grant so it should be disregarded? Sorry if I sound daft I'm just not sure what they would be looking for. Thank you so much for your help
                For now I would say to wait and see what happens with what UC say should be deducted In some OU cases they have treated the WGLG as special support element and disregarded it from the start. Once you know what they say we can help with your next steps

Comment

Working...
                X