No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Full time student with EHCP

Hello

Recently my money has stopped for my 19 year old son he's in full time education and has an EHCP. I was refused universal credit and was told that he can not claim ESA where do I go from here as surely there is something he can claim. He currently gets high rate PIP

You can apply for ESA credits only to start the ball rolling with getting a work capability assessment, you will need to hand in sick notes, then once they have eventually assessed and made a decision for limited capability to work you can try UC again.

I am in this situation with my son I have applied for ESA credits only and filled in the work capability form, been sending sicknotes since march and we are now waiting for them to say he needs an assessment. Not sure how long it will take. I am hoping not too much longer as he only has his pip and my money has dropped drastically due to the 2 eldest coming off my tax credits.

Comment

Kez09 hi

There has been a new update in regards to dependant students with disabilities claiming uc whilst still in ft education however this depends on what level your child is studying & if any finance is also involved

Can I check, what level is your son is studying?

Comment

He is getting studying a non advance course (life skills). I have called ESA and they said originally that he could claim but then when I rang today he can't claim. I had a phone call from universal credit advisor today who said that I need to come in with him next week and provide them with a letter to say what level he is studying. I have a sicknote from the doctor for 6 months dated 7th September when I opened his claim.

Comment

No finance is involved

Comment

Kez09 new guidance that has just come in that says any student aged 16+ with pip can claim uc now if studying a course below A level & with no student finance so this is likely what the appointment is to verify

Comment

Thank you so much for this it's a worrying time, I seem to be going round the house with them.

Comment

Its literally just been announced this last week so its very new - if the uc claim was closed originally, i would request a mandatory reconsideration of the closure.

Then report sick notes to uc for the wca process to start

Comment

UC claim hasn't been closed. I reported his sicknote the day I opened his UC claim. I have a sicknote for 6 months. I've just got a message on his journal to say that they are sending out a questionnaire that we need to fill in and send back.

Comment

Thats fab - looks like they have it all on the right track with the new guidance 😊

Comment

Working...
                    X